The building we now occupy started life as the Ratten Row mission church, funded by Miss Ann Hodgson in 1868.
The building was described as ’a plain edifice of stone; there are sittings for 250 persons. Services were held every Sunday evening, the building being also used as a Sunday school in the morning and afternoon.’
In later years the building was owned by the Ulverston Pensioners Association before being taken over by the Grace Baptist Church in 2000
As a local Church, we started out in 1989 as a handful of Christians from in and around Ulverston we began meeting to study the Bible together. Realising the importance of church membership as taught in the Bible, we placed ourselves under the care and discipline of the Grace Baptist Church in Lancaster.
For our basis of faith we adopted the 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith because it is an accurate summary of the teaching of the Bible.
Church services began in Ulverston on the first Sunday in September 1992 and have continued ever since. In 1996 we were able to call our first full time worker and in 2000 we were able, through the kindness of other Christians, to purchase the building in Ulverston where we currently meet.
On 1st January 2005 we became independent from the Free Grace Baptist Church Lancaster and now, under God, function as an independent Reformed Baptist Church. To mark the occasion the Church held a thanksgiving service in Ford Park Ulverston on the 28th May 2005. The service acknowledged God's goodness to us over the years in this Church Planting work.
Address including Postcode is:
Grace Baptist Church
The leadership team consists of
2 Elders and 2 Deacons.
Full time Elder is Ole Kristian Hunt