We believe and teach salvation by the grace of God alone, in Christ alone, revealed in the Bible alone and to the glory of God alone.
This local Church exists in order to fulfil a threefold purpose:
a) The Worship of God in Spirit and Truth (John 4:23).
b) The edification of the body of believers (Eph 4:16).
c) The fulfillment of the Great Commission to make disciples of all nations (Matt 2 8:19).
The basis of our faith
The Holy Scriptures contained in the 66 books of the Old and New Testaments are the only rule or standard that God has given the churches to govern all matters of faith and practise. As its subordinate standard, the Church recognises the 1689 Baptist Confession.
A summary of what we believe
We believe in the one true and living God, in three Persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, who is invisible, personal, omnipresent, eternal, dependent on none, unchanging, truthful, trustworthy, almighty, sovereign, omniscient, righteous, holy, good, loving, merciful, long suffering and gracious.
We believe that Almighty God has revealed all that is necessary to life and salvation in the sixty six books of Holy Scripture which are the Word of God. All Scripture was given by inspiration of God, is infallible and inerrant, and is the final arbiter in all disputes. Its authority is derived from its Author and not from the opinions of men.
We believe that God made our first father Adam perfect, holy and upright. He was appointed representative and head of the human race thereby exposing all his offspring to the effects of his obedience or disobedience to God's commands.
We believe that Adam fell from his original righteousness into sin and brought upon himself and all his offspring death, condemnation and sinnership.
We believe it to be utterly beyond the power of fallen man to love God, to keep His laws, to understand the Gospel, to repent of sin or trust in Christ.
We believe that God, before the foundation of the world, for his own glory did elect an innumerable host of men and women to eternal life as an act of free and sovereign grace. This election was in no way dependent upon his foresight of human faith, decision, works or merit.
We believe that God sent his Son into the world, conceived of the virgin Mary by the Holy Spirit, unchangeably sinless, both God and man, born under the Law, to live a perfect life of righteousness, on behalf of his elect people.
We believe that God's Son died at Calvary to effect propitiation, reconciliation, redemption and atonement for his elect people. God bore testimony to his acceptance of his son's work by raising him from the dead.
We believe that God's Son ascended to the right hand of his Father and is enthroned in glory, where he intercedes on behalf of his people and rules over all things for their sake.
We believe that God the Son has poured out the Holy Spirit to work alongside the preached word. The Spirit of God regenerates the elect sinner and draws him irresistibly to repentance towards God and faith in Christ the Saviour.
We believe the elect, who are called by grace, are justified in the sight of God on account of the imputed righteousness of Jesus Christ which is received by faith alone.
We believe that such as are regenerated, called and justified shall persevere in holiness and never finally fall away.
We believe that baptism by immersion and the Lord's Supper are gospel ordinances belonging only to regenerated believers.
We believe that the local church is under the authority of Christ alone. The communion of saints, however, requires recognition of and fellowship with other churches.
We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ shall come again to raise the dead, both righteous and unrighteous, and that the righteous shall enjoy everlasting life and the wicked endure everlasting punishment.
The building we now occupy started life as the Ratten Row mission church.
The church was was built by Miss Ann Hodgson in 1868. The building was described as ’a plain edifice of stone; there are sittings for 250 persons.
Services were held every Sunday evening, the building being also used as a Sunday school in the morning and afternoon.’
In later years the building was owned by the Ulverston Pensioners Association before being taken over by the Grace Baptist Church in 2000
As a local Church, we started out in 1989 as a handful of Christians from in and around Ulverston we began meeting to study the Bible together. Realising the importance of church membership as taught in the Bible, we placed ourselves under the care and discipline of the Grace Baptist Church in Lancaster.
For our basis of faith we adopted the 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith because it is an accurate summary of the teaching of the Bible.
Church services began in Ulverston on the first Sunday in September 1992 and have continued ever since. In 1996 we were able to call our first full time worker and in 2000 we were able, through the kindness of other Christians, to purchase the building in Ulverston where we currently meet.
On 1st January 2005 we became independent from the Free Grace Baptist Church Lancaster and now, under God, function as an independent Reformed Baptist Church. To mark the occasion the Church held a thanksgiving service in Ford Park Ulverston on the 28th May 2005. The service acknowledged God's goodness to us over the years in this Church Planting work.